Wednesday, May 28, 2008

If You Are Polish, Your Grandmother Made....

Placek. Polish coffee cake. It is all I have heard from my sweet husband since I began getting to know his family history. Grandma Schwind's Placek. His eyes mist over. He lets escape a forlorn sigh. A small trail of drool escapes out of the corner of his mouth. Needless to say, I am intrigued.


I didn't have the blessing of knowing his grandmother, Rose Krall Schwind. From all descriptions of her, she was amazing. She was one of the oldest of 13 kids in the family, and helped her mother raise the younger kids. This is a revered woman. All of her remaining younger siblings consistently use one word to describe her: "Angel". Since these are all loving, wonderful people, I have developed a high opinion of this woman whom I have never met.


Rose apparently could really put out a spread at holiday time. My husband has numerous times told me about the stomach splitting meals he and his family would enjoy year after year at Christmas or on Easter. Yet the one menu item that always has stood out in his mind is the Placek. Sweet, warm, soft, all the words you expect when thinking of your Grandmother. Yet all of these words also apply to this yummy coffee cake.

I recently had the joy of spending some time with Rose's younger sister, Bea. She shared the recipe for Placek with me, and I rushed right home and made it. Three delicious loaves of the best yeast coffee cake you have ever stuck a fork in. My husband used the term "succulent goodness"! I don't know about succulent, but it is darn good. My boys quickly devoured it, and asked me to make more.

In making the Placek, I have made friends with my husband's grandmother in an intimate, warm, sweet kind of way. All I can say is, if she made something this yummy, she really must have loved her family. I guess now she and Aunt Bea have given me a wonderful heritage of love to pass down to my four sons as they sit, with sticky faces and fingers, devouring their fresh Placek. My next post will be the recipe given to me by Aunt Bea, younger sister of our much beloved, sweet, warm and wonderful Rose Schwind.

No comments: